The Living Awards for Young Journalists were established in 1981 to recognize outstanding reporting and to help journalists under the age of 35 advance their careers. The Living Awards have recognized outstanding young journalist and the next generation of newsroom leaders for more than four decades.
Each year, prizes of $10,000 each are presented in local, national and international reporting. Winners are selected by our panel of judges, who share a longtime commitment to our program and are highly respected for their achievements in journalism.
Winning the award gives talented young reporters the confidence and institutional support they need to continue producing ambitious projects. Winners of national recognition are exposed to new stories, new audiences, and new career opportunities.
Application Deadline: February 1, 2023
Eligible Countries: International
Number of Awards: Not mentioned
Value of Award: $10,000
- You must be 34 years of age or younger as of December 31, 2022.
- Multiple bylines are eligible, but all must meet the age criteria.
- One entry per individual is accepted. One entry can be a single piece or a maximum of three pieces either from a published series, an original piece and its follow-up developments or three pieces clearly tied together in a beat. All pieces of the series must be published by the same organization.
- There is no limit to the number of entries that a media organization can submit, provided that they enter only one entry per reporter.
- Individuals may apply on their own, or be entered by their organization.
- Print, online, video, audio and data visualization work are eligible. Still photography is not eligible.
- The work must appear in U.S.-controlled media. Entrants are not required to be U.S. citizens.
- Entries must be directly related to current events or include new information about old events. Features and commentary are eligible.
- Submissions must consist of materials prepared in the ordinary course of the journalist’s professional production. Materials prepared by journalists specifically for submission to the Livingston Awards do not qualify.
- Student media are not eligible.
- Competition is limited to work published or appearing during the calendar year ending December 31, 2022.
- The Livingston Awards reserves the right to use any part or whole of any entered piece for publicity or educational purposes.
- Winners will participate in an outreach event arranged by the Livingston Awards.
How to Apply:
The deadline to enter work published in 2022 is February 1, 2023.
Entry rules and preparing your submission materials »
The deadline to nominate a journalism mentor for the 2023 Clurman Award is March 2, 2023.
Nominate your journalism mentor for the Clurman Award »
GIPHY App Key not set. Please check settings